About Us

We invite you to a True Canadian Wilderness Experience

Onaway Lodge Grounds

Western shores of Lac Seul in Scout Bay

Onaway Lodge is located on the western shores of upper Scout Bay, Lac Seul which means a beautiful sunrise will greet you each morning as you prepare to leave the dock on your way to another exciting day of fishing and exploring the lake.  Our cabins are spread out over several acres so you can enjoy the solitude and beauty of the surrounding wilderness.  At the waterfront of the property you will find our marina and fish house.  We offer boats, gas, ice, minnows as well as a fish cleaning house with freezer and ample docking.  Electricity at the dock also means you can conveniently recharge your trolling motor battery.  Our large docking system has ample room for all boats and includes a grated surface for a safe non-slip surface.  The docking area is also protected by a unique floating wave brake system.

Rainbow at Onaway Lodge

Frequently Asked Questions About Onaway Lodge and travel to Northwestern Ontario

Below is a list of frequently asked questions. If you have further questions about traveling to Onaway Lodge in Northwestern Ontario,  please contact us a toll free at 1-888-ONAWAY1 (1-888-662-9291) or you can email your questions to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Where are we located?

We are located in the Northwest corner of Ontario, Canada between Vermilion Bay and Ear Falls in the Northwest portion of Lac Seul approximately 4 hours north of International Falls, Minnesota.  After crossing the border at International Falls,MN into Fort Frances, Ontario proceed East on Highway 11 to junction of Hwy 502. Turn North on Hwy 502 to Dryden. Join hwy 17 west to Vermillion Bay turn North on Hwy 105. Drive North 80 km then turn right at our sign and drive one mile into camp. Coming East from Thunder Bay travel west on Hwy 17 to Vermillion Bay then turn North on Hwy 105. Coming from the West Winnipeg travel East on hwy 17 to Vermillion Bay turn North on Hwy 105.

How do I get there?

Northwestern Ontario is less than a day’s drive from many US Midwest cities (map). All main highways and roads in Ontario are paved. If you are flying, you can fly (with connection) into Dryden or Red Lake (closest airports to Onaway Lodge). From there you can rent a car or van. Call us for more information,  we should be able to give you suggestions on the easiest way to Onaway Lodge from your home city.

Charter and personal flights can land at Red Lake and Dryden. Visit the CANPASS website for information on Canadian customs and immigration.

What is included in our Housekeeping Packages
  • Full kitchens so you can fix your own meals and keep your own schedule including electric fridge and stove: larger cabins have both gas and electric stoves, dishes/cutlery, slow cooker, Boat coolers are first come first serve.

  • Large furnished living area

  • Private bedrooms (two to three beds per room with linens),

  • Modern private bathrooms

  • Screened-in porches, decks with gas grill.

  • Boat coolers (for fish) and ice

  • We do not provide bath or dish towels.

  • Free Wireless Internet

  • 17 foot Lund Outfitter boats powered by 50 h.p. Honda motor (2-3 people per boat)

  • Boats are equipped with electric start and padded swivel seats. Boats also include with mandatory safety kits, depth/fish finders, boat coolers and ice. We can also provide landing nets, minnow buckets and anchors as required.

  • Use of the Fish Cleaning area and Freezer Services

  • Battery charging (at dock)

What other Dock Side Services are at Onaway Lodge
  • Ice
  • Minnows
  • Fuel

We also provide guide services and guided moose hunts.

Can I bring my Pet?

Please contact us prior to your stay to determine if we can accommodate your pet.

For U.S. visitors, all pets must be accompanied by their owners when entering Canada. Owners of cats and dogs must bring a certificate issued by a licensed American or Canadian veterinarian clearly identifying the pet and certifying that it has been vaccinated against rabies some time during the previous 36 months. For more information, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency offers basic guidelines for bring your pet into Canada. Dog food is not allowed into Canada.

What do I need to cross the US/Canada Border?

U.S. citizens driving from the United States into Canada: The United States Government requires all of its citizens 16 years or older to have either a passport book or passport card. For more information on the difference between the passport book and passport card, visit the US Passport Card website. U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by land may present an original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certificate of Citizenship. For up-to-date information, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Youths under 18 traveling alone or with someone other than their parents, should also have a letter from a parent or legal guardian giving them permission to travel to Canada.

What can I bring into Canada in Terms of Food, Plant, Animal & Related products?

Travellers are required, by law, to declare all plant, animal, and food items they bring into Canada.

This includes items related to plants, animals and food, or their by-products.

If you bring these products into Canada, you may go through further inspections at the point of entry (that is, border crossings, airports). Be prepared for delays if further inspection is required.

Check out the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website for more information.

What can I bring into Canada?
  • a reasonable amount of personal effects, food supply, tank of gas
  • gifts not exceeding $60 Cdn for a friend/relative in Canada duty free. This does not include tobacco products, alcoholic beverages or advertising material. Gifts more than $60 Cdn are subject to duty.
  • up to 40 ozs (1.14 litres) of liquor or 1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine or 24×12 oz bottles or cans of beer (up to 8.5 litres)*
  • up to 1 carton of cigarettes (200 cigarettes) and 50 cigars and 200 grams (7 ounces) of tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks
  • You must be at least 19 years of age to import these goods into Ontario. Any additional alcoholic beverages or tobacco products other than those listed above are subject to duty.
  • For more information, call the Customs Border Services Agency  (CSBA) at 1-800-461-9999 (within Canada) or 807-274-3655 or 204-983-3500 or visit the CSBA online.

You can’t bring the bait listed above into Ontario. You cannot bring most firearms/weapons into Canada (except for hunting). Go to the Canada Border Service Agency for further information on bringing a firearm into Canada or call 1-800-731-4000. You cannot bring stun guns, mace or any other spray to be used against humans.

What type of bait can I bring into Ontario?

It is illegal to bring live fish, crayfish or salamanders into Ontario for use as bait. It is also illegal to bring live leeches into Ontario for use as bait, unless you are the holder of a commercial bait license. Earthworms can be brought into Ontario from the United States for use as bait provided that they are in clean bedding (not soil). For more information on what types of bait you can bring into Ontario, you can download a copy of the Ontario Fishing & Hunting Regulations from the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Are there lineups at the border crossings?

During the summer months there may be some line-ups at the border. Saturdays are usually the busiest. You can check online to see if there border where you are crossing has border wait times. They are updated hourly.

What is the US/Canadian exchange rate?

You can easily find out the current exchange rate with the Universal Currency Converter.

Where can I buy a fishing license?

We DO NOT sell fishing licences but many tackle and bait shops and gas stations a long the way do sell fishing licenses.  Locally, Duchies in Perrault Falls (located just south of Onaway Lodge) sells licences as well as last minute items.  It is really easy now to get a fishing license online. You can also buy your fishing license at the ServiceOntario office. Click here for a list of all the ServiceOntario offices in Ontario.

How much is a fishing license?

Non Residents are considered to be anyone from outside of Canada. Non-Residents can purchase either a Sport Fishing License or a Conservation Fishing License for terms of either one year or seven-days. Non-residents who are under 18 years of age may fish without a license if accompanied by an adult who has a recreational fishing license. Any fish caught are part of the catch & possession limit of the adult who holds the license. Non-residents under 18 may purchase a license and any fish caught apply to the catch & possession limits of that license.

To find out the current rates for your fishing license, please check with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. There are separate Non-resident Fishing Licence Options and Residents of Canada Fishing Licence Options.

Who needs an Ontario Outdoors Card?

An Outdoors Card is a plastic, wallet-sized identification card to which your Ontario fishing license tag is affixed. It acts as a durable carrier for your license tag for three calendar years. Most Canadian residents need an Ontario-issued Outdoors Card and fishing license tag to fish in Ontario if they are at least 18 years old but have not reached their 65th birthday. You can purchase an Outdoors Card where you buy your license or you can get an application mailed to you by calling 1-800-387-7011. You now can also renew your Outdoor Card online

What species of fish can I go fishing for?

The main fish species in Lac Seul are: walleye, northern pike, muskie, and smallmouth bass.  Lac Seul also has populations of yellow perch and whitefish.

What animals can I hunt?

At Onaway Lodge we offer guided moose hunts.  You may also hunt for small game (including upland game birds), and waterfowl.